Tulips: Dutch pride and the symbol of spring! Have you always wanted to have a ‘mini Keukenhof’ in your own garden? Now is the time to plant tulip bulbs, so you can enjoy delightful shapes and colors in your own garden in spring.
A mini Keukenhof in your own garden: what could be better? You don’t need a large garden to create it: you can conjure a cheerful tulip atmosphere with ease, even in a city garden or on a balcony or terrace. How to do it? Think big and choose many and various varieties of tulips with different flowering times, so you can enjoy them for a long time!
If you have a garden, plant loads of tulip bulbs in an empty border (edge), or plant them in between existing plantings. If you are not blessed with a garden but you have a balcony or patio that could use some color in spring, use several planters or pots to plant the tulip bulbs. Group the pots together to create a full and cheerful atmosphere.
Different tulip varieties
- Triumph tulips: beautiful flower shape with sturdy stems in many different colors. A perfect cutting tulip. Flowering month: April, flowering height: 10-15 in.
- Darwin hybrid tulips: large flowers with a strong, long stem. Flowering month: April-May, flowering height: 1-1.6 ft.
- Single tulips: large variety of flower shapes and colors. Large flowers and perfect as a cut flower. Flowering month: April-May, flowering height: 1.5-2.5 ft.
- Fosteriana tulips: wild tulip species, a slender flower shape with large petals, sometimes striped with white. Flowering month: April-May, flowering height: 10-12 in.
- Double tulips: tulip variety with double flowers and short and strong stems. Flowering month: April, flowering height: 8-12 in.
- Parrot tulips: whimsically shaped and unusually colored tulips. Flowering month: April-May, flowering height: 1-1.5 ft.
- Lily-flowered tulips: slender flowers, often with pointed petals. Flowering month: May, flowering height: 1-2.5 ft.
- Botanical tulips: greigii or kaufmanniana tulips have small early-flowering flowers that naturalize with ease. Flowering month: March-April, flowering height: 8-12 in.
- Viridiflora tulips: lily-shaped tulip with some green in the flower. Stays beautiful for a long time and is suitable as a cut flower. Flowering month: April, flowering height: 1.3-2 ft.
Always check the packaging for the exact flowering times, as this can vary per type.